Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Taking care of YOU- Taking care of BUSINESS



One important priority in my life has always been to take good care of myself.
I work out up to 5-7 days a week and I eat fairly healthy. I also take my vitamins and cod oil. I mean…I’ve never been one of those who insisted on reading the calorie content etc, in fact I love sweets and especially chocolate and vanilla ice cream with caramel and cut snickers chocolate on top. Yummy!
The point is; your body can take much more shit if you treat yourself fairly good most of the time. There are times when I push myself so hard I’m afraid recovery will take weeks, but it never does.
4 weeks ago I had a reconstructive surgery (rhino). When I came home from the hospital that day I felt like I was going to die. I had a lot of pain after the anesthesia started to fade, but the next day I didn’t have any pain whatsoever. In fact I was up at 9 am in the morning WORKING. Amazing ha? I thought it was pretty cool J

Most of my friends are people who want to do well. Some of them are doing extremely well. They work around the clock like machines.
Problem a lot of them have is that they never take time to take care of themselves. They always have an excuse for not going to the gym. ¨I work too much…or… the gym is closed when I leave the office…or I’m simply too tired¨.
One of my close friends, lets just call him Jon, is a 35 year old male who runs a multi million dollar business. He started out when he was about 23 years old. Jon has high cholesterol, high blood pressure and he has even had a weak heart attack. Nice! NOT.

Its not just all the health complications you will suffer, but your performance at work will decrease. You will have to push yourself even harder when your health is weaker, which again weakens your health. So it’s an evil circle.
Even though I do normally take good care of myself there was a short period of three months last autumn when I gained 13 kg. During those three months I was travelling a lot and eating and drinking like a truck driver and working like one of those machine friends of mine. I had just started 3rd year at University and was also involved in a lot of projects outside of the University on top of doing research for my business. At this time I was 24 years old. Guess what? Not only had I gained weight, I had also too high cholesterol. I could not believe it, nor could my flat mates, because I looked totally normal on the outside. I found out that my dad had high cholesterol, and so we have high cholesterol in our family. Great…I just had to inherit those genes.
Good thing it was easy for me to get back on track. You see, muscles and even your lungs have memory. So if you stop working out for a while and throw yourself back; it won’t take that long before you are fit for fight, because your body remembers! Never forget that.
I got back inside the gym, cut down on cheese and egg…but I refused to cut down on my vanilla ice cream, so I just worked out harder instead. I have to admit…sometimes I push myself harder at the gym to be able to eat more. I LOVE FOOD.
My favorite workouts are: Spinning/cycling, cross country ski and Bikram Yoga. I also love working out my muscles in the studio with the boys.

In a world where you have to work hard to play hard and play hard to work hard taking care of yourself is def number ONE priority. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yass,

    I absolutely agree that health is No1 priority - whatever business you are in. Love yourself then you will be able to love others ( business too :)

    Not sure 5-7 days working out in a gym... it sounds like you're preparing for 2012 London Olympics :)

    ..But your favorite 'working out my muscles in the studio with the boys' is alright :)


    I do eat healthy, but not to crazy about it. Sometimes burger/chips'n'coke goes well at 5am after a night out :)


    Look after yourself business people !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YO Thomas!

    I do a upper body, lower body free weight and machines work out two days in a row at the gym. After Ive done this I try to do at least 30-40 minutes cardio, wether it is spinning or running, but I prefer spinning. Third day is relax day, but I still try to do spinning, go for a run etc. It depends. Im not fanatic about it.
    But Im not at the gym for hours and hours. My work-out plan is actually pretty short. Im very cautious about working out the right way. A lot of people work out too hard. I really don't. I just work out often, so that it is not that hard.
    I do Bikram Yoga at least 3 days a week if it is available where I am. In London its everywhere, but here in Oslo it is not. Bikram Yoga is a work out that you have to do at least 3 times a week for it to actually work, plus your body goes into shock in the beginning because of the high temperature. 40 degrees for 90 minutes is pretty exhausting. You have to make your body get used to it, and thats why.

    A lot of people who pushes themselves too hard at the gym are often those who loses motivation first and quit.

    Another thing I love about the gym I go to is the Spa. Sometimes when Im not motivated I just think about the indulging spa...its SO NICE :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like you could be a good personal trainer :)
    When someone being SO serious about it makes me think ' maybe a should do a bit more sports ' ...
    Naaahhh... :)
    I'll be alright.. :)

    Don't mind accompany though :)

    ReplyDelete