Monday, December 20, 2010

New year’s resolutions

Its really weird how time flies. I remember when I was a kid. I felt like time was moving so slowly, but now time is running like an Olympic champion. I am afraid I’m missing out on the real values in life. I’m afraid I’m running for the gold medal with my eyes shut.  
For me the real values in life are intangible. Real values are when I feel that I’m making a positive and significant difference for other people or the environment. It is also the love I get from people around me, mostly from my family and close friends and it’s the feeling of victory. It could be in sports or in business. Unfortunately I am a victory junkie. Sometimes the pleasing feeling of doing well takes up too much attention in my life, but its mainly because I’m so passionate about what I’m doing I don’t feel like I’m working. As a matter of fact I set out some rules for myself regarding what types of work I would be doing in the future already the second year in University. I said to myself that I would never, ever take on any jobs that weren’t particularly useful or interesting to me. Meaning I would only work on projects I felt genuinely passionate about.   
While most of my friends had part time jobs at some bar just to have an income I was being extremely picky and prepared to do almost whatever it took to get an interesting job.  One of my favorite jobs was for one of the worlds biggest credit rating companies in the world; Dun and Bradstreet selling credit ratings, which taught me invaluable sales techniques. Another great job was an internship for Tv2, Norway’s biggest commercial television channel as a journalist on one of the most central murder cases in Norway. The Martine Vik-case. But guess what, I really never felt like I was working during this time of my life…. well maybe when I was working for Dun and Bradstreet. It could get brutal on the phone sometimes, but besides from that I think it’s a smart idea to only do what you are passionate about because that way you hold out longer.

As much as I love what I do and often feel like I’m not working at all, just playing, I think that my number 1. New Year resolution this year will be to spend slightly more time just being, and not doing or at least spend less time working and more time on my hobbies which I have neglected the two last years. I used to play guitar, write songs, do some acting, painting etc. I feel like I need to take that back into my life.
I don’t like the thought of not being as efficient as possible, but I don’t want to become a workaholic. I need to change from being a victory junkie to a victory lover because to be successful in life is so much more than to be successful running a company. I want to be a good friend, daughter and a parent whenever that time comes. I would also like to stay healthy and have a rich life outside my company. So to all other young entrepreneurs reading this take a minute to think about what you really want in life, because I’m sure its not only to be the number one in business, or is it? We just need to work smarter.

(Note: The used is not my official new years resolution list. I am not losing 15 pounds...for sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment